14 April 2009

Is the Pope useful?

No, not that one. I'm wondering if you have used Rob Pope's How to Study Chaucer in class, and if so, whether it helped. I'm considering it for the fall, mostly because a lot of the things he says are things I say, and sometimes students find them more authoritative if they're in print, not to mention a more convenient resource in the middle of the night.

On the other hand, while the approach may be too simplistic for good students, it's sufficiently text-dense as perhaps to be off-putting for those most in need of help. And it is aimed primarily at British students who are going to have to take exams rather different from what we'll be doing in my classes.

Hence my bleg. Thanks for any comments!

2 comments:

meg said...

I didn't even know about it...

Dr. Virago said...

I didn't know about it, either, but I'm going to buy it at the Palgrave booth with my author discount for sure!