22 December 2011

Weak, grouchy, grinchy, whiny SAD post

I'm not sure what sort of strength it is to suffer from seasonal affective disorder. Maybe the other side is the energy I have from April to October, or that I would be a superhero if I could just live in the right climate. But at the moment, that last post is sitting here mocking me, so I'm going to try to exorcise the grumps with a new entry.

The good news: the Solstice has passed. Tomorrow will give us five whole seconds more daylight than today. But it is getting better. For the next six months, every day will be lighter (though it will take 6-8 weeks to get out to where the difference is really worthwhile, and three months till I will shift gears into summer-light mode).

Also good: in a few days, I will be able to go out without hearing trite Christmas music everywhere. Tomorrow is one bit of family festivity (preceded by the dentist, oh joy), and the 24th is another (preceded by baking for it); then on the 25th we can go to a movie and veg out and then the horror will be over for this year.

The bad: now it's winter. And we have grey, dank, drizzly weather. I want sun. I'd take snow over this dreary version of winter. Snow is bright. And Sir John loves it, so at least one of us would be happy and one would be several degrees less wretched.

Time passes. The holidays will pass, the weather will pass, the winter will pass. Soon enough, I'll have to show up for classes and act like I'm in my right mind, which will help; and before we know it, spring break will arrive and then it will be conference season.

It's just these short days that seem so long. So dreary, and so pointless. Even with my full-spectrum light, and exercise outdoors early in the day, and more exercise, and baking and so on. Maybe I should just start going to Morocco by myself.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We hear you!

And we were counting the days until solstice too.

undine said...

Hang in there, Dame Eleanor! Eventually the rain will stop and it will be light. I just posted some Mark Twain, if that will help.

SwallowingSoul said...

All will be well! It must have helped, if even just a little bit, to get all that grouchiness out.

Clio Bluestocking said...

I hear you! I now understand why the solstice became a big holiday. The hope of more sun is something. I also understand why so many people go to Florida for the winter. This grey just sinks into your cells.

Ink said...

((((((DEH))))))

Anonymous said...

I like winter. But I have seriously considered and do seriously consider the importance of going to a non Christian country for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you peace and joy (amid the craziness of holiday craziness).

What Now? said...

Dame Eleanor, I just sent a weak, grouchy, grinchy whiny email about SAD to your yahoo account.