25 July 2011

Not-quite-random: books and writing update

My missing book revealed itself. It was not, after all, at school. Once I got back from campus, I found it hiding among the books about medieval reading, on a shelf below one of its more plausible homes. I don't think there's any book-list application that will reveal where I've absent-mindedly put a book when it isn't where it ought to be. This is why I want space for a proper LC-ordered library (and time enough to get all the books labeled and organized), so I'll put books back where they belong in the system, rather than stuffing them where there's room on a subject-related shelf. Or, in this case, near a subject-related shelf.

I really would put them back. I'm a little obsessive about proper shelving, once books are visibly coded.

My RL writing group thinks well of my outlines for mini-essays in my summer project. This is encouraging.

They also think one of the mini-essays should be a full-size essay of its own. This is, at the moment, discouraging. I'm hoping to feel better about it soon. After all, I've already done a lot of research and some organizing for such an essay. It's not as if I'd be writing from scratch.

But I already have another spin-off from this summer's project. It's not so closely related, but it's more exciting. And I'm trying to clear the decks so I can write the Putative Book that has been haunting me for years now.

While I'm wishing for a bigger study, view of trees, etc., I wish the Writing Elves would stop by now and then. I know it's no good hoping. They're undoubtedly terrified of Basement Cat.

Dame Eleanor Hull to the Lordly Elves of Scrivening sends greeting! I would let you know that Basement Cat is shut in his own room at night, and my study is available to you. It is true that the Grammarian sometimes sleeps there, but he's much more gentle than BC, and really I'd be willing to shut all the cats out of my study if you'd come and help with all my projects. Or even one of them. Please let me know what I should leave for you in exchange: milk as for brownies' household help? Whisky? Coffee and cookies? Quill pens made from doves' feathers? Genuine linen paper? Silken cushions upon which to rest between sessions? Your wishes are my commands. I remain your most humble and well-wishing servant.

No comments: