22 December 2009

Getting lighter

Whew: made it to the Solstice and out the other side. Now I can look forward to the days getting lighter instead of darker, for six whole months. And the anniversary of my mother's death has passed, which also helps. In the past couple of days, I've even had a few faint intimations of Christmas spirit, enough to do some shopping and some baking, though I'm out of practice at baking. The cookies came out fine, but the cake was heavy as lead, and while getting out the cake-pan I broke a Villeroy and Bosch casserole.

There's not a lot to report around here. The semester's safely wrapped up, winter is truly here, and I've been spending a lot of time reading the Little Colonel books. Basement Cat is behaving unusually well. Really, this should have been an RBOC post, and I'm too lazy even to turn it into bullets.

1 comment:

Fencing Bear said...

The Little Colonel: OMG! I haven't thought about those books in decades! I did a report on them when I was in fifth grade, as a study of a "local author," I think. Thanks for reminding me of them.