06 May 2009

Hallelujah

Oh . . . the paper . . . well, it's written, but I'm working on the slides.

No, I meant that I spent yesterday evening in the company of Leonard Cohen and a couple thousand other fans. It was good. Only, I do wonder about all the extra musicians and backup singers. He's been going that way on albums for awhile, but I think he's a brilliant songwriter whose songs sound great with just an acoustic guitar and the man himself. Maybe a bass and harmonica if you insist. Still, that's his vision, and there's something to be said for experiencing the artist's own idea of what should happen.

Still . . . makes me think editors do very important work. Or maybe it's the medievalist in me that thinks less is more.

2 comments:

medieval woman said...

you're doing slides for your presentation???!!! You are going to way out-cool me... ;) I just have a handout with two quotes...

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

If your handout is already made up, you're ahead at the moment. And there's nothing to go wrong with the low-tech approach. I always fear my laptop won't talk to the other equipment and I'll wind up saying, to a large group, "Take my word for it," and to a small one, "Just gather around my laptop . . . no, don't click that!"