27 December 2008

The fleshche is brukle

I think my word count may have to stand as last reported, even though I'd need just over 2000 words to meet my minimum goal of 20,000.

Although I allowed for the usual effects of the holidays, I had no reason to expect my mother to become very ill, and then to die, just before Christmas.

She disappeared in the dead of winter.
All the brooks were frozen, the airports almost deserted,
and snow disfigured the public statues.
The mercury sank in the mouth of the dying day.
What instruments we have agree
the day of her death was a dark, cold day.
(Adapted from Auden's poem about the death of Yeats)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about this! I hope it was relatively peaceful.

Janice said...

You have my sympathies! It's never easy to lose a loved one.

Dr. Virago said...

Oh how terrible! I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to read about your mother. My condolences to you and your family.

K

Meansomething said...

I'm so sorry, Dame Eleanor.

Bardiac said...

I'm sorry to hear this. Take good care, Dame Eleanor. My sympathies are with you.

Jennifer Lynn Jordan said...

I'm also very sorry. I'm sending many good thoughts your way.

BrightStar (B*) said...

I am so very sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your mother.

Fretful Porpentine said...

Coming late to this, but I'm sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry about your mother. My best wishes to you and your family.